Hipster Ways to Give Back during #GivingWeek
Looking for interesting and unconventional ways to give back this December? Here are twelve awesome giving ideas for the festive season!
- 1) Give up one of life’s little luxuries for someone in need. This could be a taxi ride, your daily Starbucks drink or a meal out. Donate the money you would have spent to a charity on Giving.sg
- 2) Give the Gift of Laughter –Instead of giving other people a headache, give a listening ear, or the gift of laughter. That is exactly what CRAZY CHRISTMAS – A groundNUTCRACKER, promises to do. Brighten up someone’s day by buying them a ticket to watch Crazy Christmas! Running from 10 to 19 December at the Esplanade Theatre, you are bound to be entertained by the amazing cast of Dim Sum Dollies, Broadway Beng, Dr Teo Chew Moi, Kumar, the inter-generational Dream Choir and more!
- 3) Just Say Thanks – As part of International Volunteer Day, we’re recognising the Everyday Heroes in our lives. In partnership with SingPost, we are giving out limited edition postcards that you can send to your loved ones for free, just to say thank you. Find these postcards at all SingPost offices from 5 December onwards.
- 4) I GIVE – Inspire others to give back by sharing why you give on your social media platforms, and encourage 3 friends to do the same. Don’t forget to hashtag #GivingWeek and #CityofGood to be part of the giving conversation.
- 5) Give a Bag of Love – honestbee is delivering grocery bags filled with fresh and dry food to families from Beyond Social Services. You can help too! Pledge and donate $25 so that honestbee can deliver more bags to more families just in time for the New Year! Pledge up till 24 Dec.
- 6) Have A Sweet Day – Support your favorite F&B and retail outlets and SPD’s ‘Have a Sweet Day’ campaign! With every donation you make of $2 or more, at any of the 60 ‘Have a Sweet Day’ restaurants, cafes and retail outlets, SPD will give you a lollipop. Carry on the spirit of giving by giving the lollipop to a friend or stranger, and make their day sweet too!
- 7) Do a random act of kindness – Sometimes, a stranger’s kindness can be the best gift of all. Pay for someone’s coffee or let someone stand in front of you in the taxi queue, just to make their day. It will make your day too!
- 8) Get Fit - Ease the guilt from all that festive feasting and get your body moving for a good cause! Proceeds from selected The Moving Body classes held during #GivingWeek are going towards their adopted charity, ABLE. Or join Denise Keller for an afternoon of Yoga on 5 December and help raise funds for Autism Association.
- 9) Crazy Crafty Christmas – Instead of dragging your children around crowded shopping malls, get crafty with them this festive season with “Playeum Presents: Petrina’s 25 Days of Crazy Craft Christmas Contributions”. Throughout December, Radio DJ Petrina Kow will be sharing ideas on how to create fun crafts and gifts with children. She will also be teaching them about how they can #playitforward and bring children from partner non-profits to Playeum’s Centre to engage in meaningful play.
- 10) Give the gift of wisdom– have 30 minutes to spare and a smartphone? Be part of The Perspective Project by asking an elderly relative or friend about the most important lesson they’ve learned in life. When completed, this will be the world's first online repository of human wisdom and life lessons!
- 11) S.E.N.D for Hope – Running out of time to write and send your Christmas cards? Do good and do your part for the environment by sending an electronic greeting card instead! For every Christmas e-card sent, CapitaLand Hope Foundation, CapitaLand’s philanthropic arm, will donate $2 to the Community Chest-supported Rainbow Centre – Yishun Park School.
- 12) Go Online - Giving.sg wants to make your Giving Journey simple, fun and meaningful for you. You can choose to give by making donations to your chosen charity, volunteering your time at volunteer activities, or starting and running a fundraiser for your chosen charity! Don’t forget that because Giving.sg is home to a range of charities in Singapore, there’ll always be a cause for everyone to support, and a myriad volunteer activities to participate in.
Meet Like Minded People
Find volunteering opportunities & NPO partners
Company of Good
Corporate Giving Advisory Council